Digital Marketing is just what it sounds like – doing marketing on the Internet, promoting awareness of products or services, and the value they provide, to potential customers online.
Methods of digital marketing
- By creating content about a business that people are compelled to consume and share, without paying for the distribution
- By buying ads online that compel people to take a desired action, like visit a website, start a free trial, or watch an informational video.
Digital marketing is everywhere. While there is a lot of great information out there, there is also a lot of hype, misinformation, and even outright scams.
It will take a lot of hard work, patience, practice and experience to learn the craft, and it will still come down to promoting a product or service to an audience of people possibly interested in buying it.
Because of that, digital marketing has a lot in common with traditional marketing. There are, however, many adjustments to it as well, since the medium is different and the way people consume and process information is very different.
Types of digital marketing
There are a few main ways to do marketing online:
- Blogging and Search Engine Optimization
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Forums, Communities and Groups Marketing
- Video and Youtube Marketing
- Paid Advertising
- Growth Hacking
They can all be mixed and matched as needed. The best recommendation is to apply them one at a time, so that you can tell which one is working.
After attracting the audience to your resources through marketing, there are several common ways to monetize and capture some of the value you have generated.
- Displaying ads
- Affiliate commissions
- Selling physical or informational products
We will explain each one of the above methods in other posts.
You can see our post about Marketing Basics. Until then let us know what method do you want to know more through comments.